Samyuktaa Vaishnavi, even her name is rare and
beautiful just the way she is. Our cutest little angel she was and still is to
date. I still could not seem to move on from the fact that she (my niece) is
growing older day by day. Our small little Toms (her pet name), is growing inch
by inch every other day. It feels like time flies too quick and that we have
not had enough time to be spent with her as she is growing rapidly.
She took me by surprise right from day one, I did not
expect to feel such a connection to her as I have had nieces and nephews
before. If I am honest, I was a little worried that I would be a bit rubbish as
an aunt by being not too interested in her in my life as she was just another
addition in the family. But I began to realise that nothing could prepare me
for what I felt for her as time went by. It was different to any connection I
have had before. It was almost so crazy, when I held her for the first time I
knew that I would do anything for her. Maybe this is what love, true love,
really is – an instant, physical, visceral connection easily induced for one so
little and helpless, and one who at some subconscious level I know is like one of
my own.
In some ways I think it is quite selfish, driven by
ego almost. I watched her, her character, willfulness and I saw me, a little
Priya! I loved that, I love her spirit, her determination, her questioning and
every little bit of her. I love the fact that she is happy being dressed as
cinderella or any other princess! I love watching her with her little sister.
It is an ace having one, there will no doubt be times when the Yakshitha
(younger one) is a complete pain but I bet Toms will be doing a great job as a
big sister, never doubt that just like Khavia does! If I were to tell her
anything then I would definitely be saying this for her future reference so
that she knows her aunts got her back always.
I. Never stop asking questions
As you get older, people tend to play this trick on
you where they suggest asking questions is dumb because it “signifies” that you
do not know something. I want you to know that it is okay, in fact it is more
than okay to not know something and that is why you should never stop asking
questions just like you have been asking me. People who pretend to have all the
answers are just pretending and even your teachers will sometimes.
II. Have fun and play lots
Play with the dolls, babies and be girly for all
that you want, but play with the lego, football and swords too. Dress up,
pretend, make believe and discover. Play often and when you get older make time
to play, life can be a lot of fun but sometimes it is easy to forget that if
you work too hard. Do not take things too seriously as you will have a long way
to go and you are too young to be taking things seriously.
III. Do not worry about what to do when you grow up
When I was growing up, people were always nagging me
to decide what I wanted to be as a grown up, I never knew. Sometimes I wanted
to be a swimmer, I never did any of those, and I am still not sure what to do when
I grow up and I am four times older than you, so do not worry about it. You
will make good decisions when they come along and I will always be here to
guide you. .
IV. Last but not least, be friendly and love freely
This will probably seem a bit obvious. Life is much
better if you are friendly, look out for people, share your friendship and
love. As you get older you might find some people are not what you hoped they
were, some people might let you down but do not take it personally. At some
point, you will realize that it is not worth worrying about. The strange thing
is if you worry too much, and try to protect yourself from being hurt, you miss
out on so much in life like I did. Do not worry about being hurt, or losing
friends, be friendly and kind and people will be good back. You will hear about
lots of nasty and scary things in life but most people are good, and most
things are positive as the proverb goes “What goes around, comes around”. So be
genuine in giving love.
So there you go some thoughts from me as you grow
older. You might not understand this now but you will smile seeing this one day
knowing I always had your back.
No comments:
Post a Comment