Friday, 12 August 2016

The Time I was A Bridesmaid! >_<

It is a very common thing to have a bridesmaid and groomsman in a wedding. In an Indian traditional wedding, a bridesmaid will be the groom’s sister whereas the groomsman will the bride’s brother. In this case, I was chosen to be the bridesmaid for my cousin brother's wife-to-be. All the while when my aunt told me of it, I thought she was kidding but it was when we all went to get the wedding saree for the bride that I knew how serious they were about me being the bridesmaid. I was absolutely stunned. It’s not like I was given a choice or anything. Besides, in our culture, it is common for the elders to decide on behalf of us.

So I had to be the first to wake up since I have to go and fetch the bride to the hall and with a mere 3 hours of sleep, I was exhausted. My cousin sister took about 2 hours to get me ready from tying the saree and doing my make up and hair. And dad then sent me over to my cousin's house so that I could follow my cousin brother's friend to fetch the bride. It's a ritual like that a bridesmaid must follow to fetch the bride and we youngsters have not much words to say in this situation but to follow. Once reaching there, I was told to walk my then future sister-in-law to the car and so I did as I was told to. Then we headed to the hall where more rituals were done. 

Before stepping into the hall, the bridesmaid will have to perform a simple ritual whereby the bridesmaid  will apply a 'Tilak' which is a distinctive spot of coloured powder or paste in red on to the bride's forehead. I have no idea on the specific reason of doing so but yes I did what I was told to. Thousands of pictures will be taken every step you take, from the moment you sit in the car till the end of the wedding. 

Moving on, the bride and groom will be sitting separately on the alter to perform some rituals before they sit together. What is meant by separately is that, firstly, the groomsman will assist the groom to the alter. Then, the both of them will perform a ritual as the priest tells them to. Same goes to the bride and the bridesmaid. 

Walking the bride to the alter! :3 
Honestly saying, it is embarrassing to walk in front of hundreds of people all dolled up in  traditional attire! For an introvert like me, it's even worse! >_<

Last but no least, once I was done with the rituals, I was asked to wait near the alter by the priest. Moments before, my cousin brother tied the knot I was given a HEAVY oil lamp and was told to stand behind them holding it. I don't really remember the purpose as I was so frustrated being told to stand at the back before "THE MOMENT" but yeah. 

Holding that HEAVY oil lamp! 

And though it was a tiring day, I'd say I had a good experience and had fun doing all those things that I had only seen all this while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment